You must apply for your handgun permit online at in.gov/isp
If you have questions or concerns, you may contact the Indiana State Police Firearms Division at 317-232-8264 or by email at FirearmsQuestions@isp.in.gov
EFFECTIVE JULY 1, 2021 THE STATE HAS REMOVED LOCAL AND STATE FEES FOR A GUN PERMIT
- Electronic fingerprints are required. The Plainfield Police Department is not an authorized fingerprint location. You will be prompted to schedule an appointment for your electronic fingerprints after completing your application online. You may also contact IdentoGO at 877-472-6917
- You will need to bring your receipt from your electronic fingerprints along with your photo ID to the Plainfield Police Department at 1075 West Main Street to complete your application.
- Applications are processed during regular business hours Monday - Friday, 8:30 am - 12:00 pm and 1:00 pm - 5:00 pm.
- The address on your driver’s license must be where you currently reside and must match the address on your application or you may be required to provide proof of your address. Your residence must be within the Plainfield Police Department’s jurisdiction. Having a Plainfield mailing address does not necessarily mean you are within our jurisdiction.
- The laws regulating handgun licensing are covered in Indiana Code 35-47-2 on the Indiana General Assembly Website. http://iga.in.gov/legislative/laws/2020/ic/titles/035/#35-47-2
If you would like to download the process, you may download the Gun Permit Information (Microsoft Word or another word processing application is required).