What should I do before I develop some property?

The first thing you should do is contact the Department of Planning and Zoning by calling 317-839-2561. Staff will assist you in finding the zoning, explaining what can be done, how it can be done, what is required for approval, and what type of fees and permits are required. Staff will invite you to what is called a "Pre-filing Conference" before the Technical Review Committee (TAC) to assist you through the review and approval process. Depending on where your property is located, there may be specific reviews and approvals required. For example, if you are developing commercial property in the correct zoning district and it is located within 600 feet of a Gateway Corridor or residential zoning, approval of a Development Plan by the Plan Commission with review by the Design Review Committee is required.

Show All Answers

1. How do I find the zoning for a parcel/property?
2. How do I rezone property?
3. What should I do before I develop some property?
4. What type of permits and fees are required to develop property?
5. What if I own a business and I want to put up a sign?
6. What if I want to subdivide my property?
7. What is the Subdivision Control Ordinance?
8. What is the plan for future development in Plainfield?
9. What are the Residential Design Guidelines?
10. What is BZA?
11. What does TAC stand for and who should attend?
12. What is DRC and what do they do?
13. If there is a nuisance in my neighborhood or a property owner I feel is in violation of the Zoning Ordinance, who should I contact?